torsdag den 9. juni 2022

PlayStation 4 Pro Airflow mod


Some days ago, I was helping my friend to get his PS4 Pro up and running. He had bought the console preowned and the USB ports were busted, but I managed to get the system running. After testing it with some games, the system started to make a lot of noise, almost like a jet engine. I know that some PS4 Pro revisions has some noise issues with the system fan, so I removed the topcover, and the noise level got back to normal.

There are 3 revisions of the PS4 Pro: The CUH-7000 which is the Launch model. The CUH-7100 revision that came later, and the CUH-7200 revision, that was the final one. All models look basically the same, besides minor details externally, and some more changes inside the unit. Some bigger improvements, with the later revisions, has to do with the heat and noise level.

I have previously seen people cut holes in the topcover of the PS4 Pro, to enable another source of fresh air to the system fan. From what I can tell, the people who have done these similar airflow mods, has experiences lover temperatures, and lover noise levels. I assume that the lower noise level is the result of more efficient cooling, that makes the fan spin at a lover speed, making less noise.



That said, I also read on a forum, that a user was arguing that it is a bad idea to perform this mod, because it could mess up the airflow that the engineers at Sony had originally designed, meaning that some other parts of the console that requires cooling, now potentially could get hotter.
After I saw the positive result removing the topcover on my friend's PS4 Pro, I decided it was time to perform the airflow mod on my system, which is the CUH-7100 revision - CUH-7116B to be precise.



Before I removed the topcover, I put on some tape as reference lines. The shape of the PS4 Pro, can make it difficult to transform the precise center point of the fan, to the topcover. With these reference lines, it was a simple task, and the result it somewhat easy to remember. Measured from the top edges of the console, the center of the fan is located 7 cm from the front and 6 cm from the side.

With the cover removed, and the center point marked on some tape, I borrowed my daughter's pencil, ruler and compass, and draw a circle, that matched the diameter of the fan. The fan has a diameter of 80 mm. After I drew that, I used the same compass setting (40 mm) to make some points on the circle. This resulted in a total of 6 points, that I connected. I connected these points to the center point, and made markings for every cm of the outer ring, and on the lines connected to the center. I drew some more inner circles connecting these new points, and drew more markings in these circles, still with the 1 cm spacing.



After I had all the markings drawn onto the tape, I used my drill tool and made all the holes. I decided to make the holes rather small (~1.5 mm), so I don't have to worry about using dust filters.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar